With American Thanksgiving coming up quick and Christmas just around the corner, we here at Broadway at Burrard thought this past blog post was even more important than ever! If you missed it the first time around, take a read!
Here are some tips for saving your back over the holiday season…..Round 2!
1. If you have to drive more than two hours to visit friends and relatives, take a break; get out of your vehicle and stretch. This temporarily restores normal posture, which will help prevent a recurrence of neck or low back conditions.
2. When loading your vehicle for the trip, organise your luggage and packages into smaller loads, as opposed to one large suitcase, cardboard box or carrying case.
3. Wear your seat belt. Adjust vehicle headrests so that they are no more than two inches behind the centre of the back of the head. Many of the estimated 20 million car accident victims suffering whiplash injuries in North America could have prevented much of the injury had their vehicle seat headrests been adjusted properly.
4. It’s OK to be a couch potato this weekend, but don’t slouch on the sofa and don’t fall asleep on the recliner, as two or three vertebrae in the spine can assume a sharp angle. When you sit up, the normal movement isn’t restored. “We often see people walking into our offices with their heads sideways, because by slouching, the position of the joints irritates the nerves and blood vessels, causing muscle spasm,” say Dr’s Wright and Hunsberger.
5. Avoid bending directly over the oven door to lift out the turkey. Crouch down, pull out the oven shelf, and use your legs for better balance. Avoid putting all the leverage on the lower spine. This helps reduce the sharp leverage on the lower spine.
With these few simple tips, Dr. Hunsberger and Dr. Wright at Broadway at Burrard Chiropractic wish everyone a healthy, happy Holiday season! Book in today!
#canadianchiropractic #vanvouverchiropractic # Kitsalanochiropractic #lasertherapy #coldlaser #backpain #vancouverorthotics #chiropractic #thanksgiving #holidayseason